- Gilbert Hyatt files a patent application entitled "Single Chip Integrated
Circuit Computer Architecture", the first basic patent on the microprocessor.
- Information Sciences contacts Bill Gates and Paul Allen, offering them
PDP-10 computer time in exchange for their programming expertise.
- (spring) Work begins at Intel on the layout of the circuit for what
would be the 4004 microprocessor. Federico Faggin directs the work.
- Intel creates the first 4004 microprocessor.
- Intel creates the 1103 chip, the first generally available DRAM memory